The whole family loves buttermilk pancakes. They are light, fluffy & delicious. They are our favorite breakfast or lunch on the weekends. And, they are super easy & fast to make. They are delicious topped with fruit & maple syrup.
2 Cups (256 g) All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Melted Butter
1 1/2 Cups (355 ml) Buttermilk
1/2 Cup (120ml) Milk to thin the batter
1. Shift the flour & other dry ingredients together in a large bowl & mix.
2. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs & whisk in the buttermilk & melted butter.
3. Add the egg mix into the dry ingredients & mix together with the whisk. Add milk to thin down the batter a little bit, to your preference. You can add more or less than 1/2 cup.
4. Get your frying pan good & hot. Rub a thin coat of oil over the pan. You don’t need much oil because there is butter added to the mix.
5. You can make the pancakes as big or small as you like. Place the batter on the frying pan & don’t touch it until you can see bubbles form. You can see them in the image below. When there are a few several bubbles like in the pancakes below, turn them over.
6. They will only need a minute on the flip side. When it’s brown, it’s done. Plate & enjoy! You can leave the pancakes in a warm oven for a few minutes but they are nicest served fresh. In our house, the family eats them as they come off the pan.
Note: As you continue to cook pancakes, the pan will be much hotter so it will take less time for the next batch to cook. Add a little oil onto the pan before adding each batch of pancakes. I smear it around with a paper towel to get a thin coat.
No Buttermilk, No Problem
Alternatively, if you don’t have buttermilk, you can modify the recipe & still have nice & fluffy pancakes. Simply substitute milk for the buttermilk. Add 2 cups (470ml) of milk.