*This post is sponsored by Nutella
I adore this time of year. Spring is a beautiful season with signs of new life all around us. From flowers to baby birds, our yard becomes busy and full of life again.
Easter is one of our favourite holidays. The kids are anxiously awaiting the Easter bunny’s arrival! It’s a fun and festive time of year where we enjoy preparing for Easter with some family traditions. The kids paint eggs, do Easter crafts and pick spring flowers for our table’s centerpiece.
Today I am sharing my Easter Pancakes with Nutella recipe! The whole family enjoys these delicious pancakes as we prepare for Easter. One portion of Nutella is a 15g heaped teaspoon and it is only 80kcals which makes it a tasty topping as part of a balanced and varied breakfast.
Choosing your pancake toppings is the most fun and definitely, the kids favourite part of eating pancakes! Easter is a fun and festive time of year so it’s nice to add a little of that lovely festivity to your pancakes! Our favourite pancake topping is one heaped teaspoon (15g) of Nutella per person with some lovely fresh fruit and half fat crème fraiche on the side.
This combination of flavours is delicious. The wholemeal pancake compliments the contrast between the creme fraiche & fresh fruit beautifully.
Since I am from the US originally I am sharing an American style pancake recipe. These pancakes are very easy to make. They turn out light and fluffy. Using buttermilk adds a lovely flavour to the pancakes but if you don’t have buttermilk don’t worry, you can substitute regular milk and they turn out delicious.
This recipe makes 12, 4″ pancakes. We would have 2 – 3 pancakes per person as a portion. For more pancakes simply double the recipe.
Pancakes with 1 teaspoon of Nutella
2 Cups (256 g) Wholemeal Flour (if you are using course wholemeal use 1 cup of plain flour & 1 cup of course wholemeal).
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 tbsp Melted Butter
1 1/2 Cups (355 ml) Buttermilk
1/4+ Cup (120ml) Milk to thin the batter to taste
Nutella – 15 g (one heaped teaspoon) per person
Fresh fruit – our favourite is berries but you can use any fruit you have in the house. One portion of fruit per person would be one cup of berries or one banana or apple per person.
Half Fat Crème Fraiche – 1 tbsp per person. You can substitute sugar-free yogurt or fromage frais.
1. Shift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl & mix.
2. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs & whisk in the buttermilk & melted butter.
3. Add the egg mix into the dry ingredients & mix together with the whisk. Add milk to thin down the batter a little bit, to your preference. You can add more or less than 1/2 cup. My little helpers love to help make the pancakes!
4. Get your frying pan nice & hot. Rub a thin coat of oil over the pan. You don’t need much oil because there is butter added to the mix.
5. Use a large spoon to place the batter onto the pan in 4″ sized rounds. Don’t touch the batter until you can see bubbles form. When you see a few bubbles, turn them over.
6. They will only need a minute on the flip side. When it’s brown, it’s done.
7. Add your tasty toppings of one heaped teaspoon of Nutella per person along with a side of fruit & a tablespoon of crème fraiche. Serve & enjoy!
One portion of Nutella is a 15g heaped teaspoon and can be enjoyed as a tasty topping on a balanced breakfast like these wholegrain pancakes. It’s delicious alongside fruit and dairy.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe, let me know in the comments! x