Nothing is more Christmassy than a gorgeous glass of mulled wine! I will admit that I am fussy about mulled wines. I made a few batches of it last year & perfected my mulled wine recipe. I am going to share it with you now. Everyone has a different taste so feel free to add more of the flavours to suit your taste. I hope you enjoy it!
1 Bottle of nice Red Wine
The wine doesn’t have to be overly expensive but don’t go for the cheap stuff because your mulled wine won’t taste as good. If you are having a big crowd then you can double or triple the recipe to suit. I love Merlot for mulled wine.
2 Sachets of Mulled Wine Spice. I use Schwartz.
1 Shot of Whiskey
4 tsp sugar
1- 2 Lemons
1/4 cup (2 oz) Orange Juice
1/4 cup (2oz) Cranberry Juice
1. Pour the wine into a large pot. Turn on the stove. Don’t let the wine boil or you will loose the alcohol content.
2. Add the spice sachet, whiskey & sugar.
3. Cut one lemon & one orange into slices & add to the mix.
4. Squeeze the juice from the orange into the mix, to taste. You can squeeze the juice of a lemon in as well – add it slowly as to not make the mulled wine too sour.
5. Add the orange & cranberry juices.
6. Taste your mulled wine when it’s warm. Add more sugar or juices to taste.
For the Kids:
I make a juice version of mulled wine for the kiddies. I substitute apple juice for the wine & add cranberry & orange juices into a pot with slices of lemon, oranges & one mulled wine spice sachet. They really enjoy having a warm drink like the grown ups.
If you try my recipe, let me know what you think! Enjoy the holiday season. x