For years, I would struggle with making omelets – they never came out great. Then I discovered how to make the perfect omelet! It’s all about technique. I used to make one big omelet & divide it out for everyone. That’s a big no no! Here’s what I do now & my omelets come out delicious!
1 – 2 eggs per person.
Fillings of your choice! The world is your oyster here. We love combinations of grated cheddar cheese, ham, sauteed onion & mushrooms, scallions & tomatoes.
* The key to making a perfect omelet is in the technique. *
1. You need to make each omelet individually in a small frying pan. My pan is 8″ in diameter across the top.
2. Crack 1 – 2 eggs in a cereal bowl (we use 1 for kids & 2 for adults).
3. Briefly whisk the egg with a fork – don’t over do it.
4. Add your fillings into the egg & mix together.
5. Get the frying pan piping hot with some oil coating the bottom.
6. Pour your omelet mixture onto the pan.
7. After two minutes, place a fork under one side of the omelet & lift up allowing the egg from on top to run underneath to the pan. Then lift the opposite side of the omelet & allow more egg to run down to the pan.
8. After another two minutes, or when the egg has gotten crispy at the bottom & mostly cooked on top, turn the omelet in half. I wait less than a minute at this stage then remove the omelet. (Please forgive the state of my pan, this was the 4th omelet made).
It takes longer to make 4 separate omelets but they come out so nice, it’s worth the extra effort. Plus, everyone gets to choose their own fillings! I prepare two bowls at a time with eggs & fillings of choice. I cook my omelet last so I can enjoy it. Do you have a favorite omelet filling or any tips to add?