Ultimate Chicken Bake: Creamy, cheesey, super tasty!
Adults & kids both enjoy my chicken bake. It’s delicious with mashed or boiled potato and a veg of your choice. My favorite sides are mash & string beans. Yummy!
This recipe makes about 5 adult portions.
Prep Time (chopping and frying): 30 Minutes
Cook Time (in the oven): 30 Minutes
6 Chicken Breasts, sliced length ways – so you have long, thin slices of chicken
8 Mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
1 Medium Onion, sliced into rings
1/3 Cup White Wine
1/3 Cup Butter
1/3 Cup Plain Flour
2 & 2/3 cups/ 550ml Milk
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Salt, Pepper & Oregano
1. Slice & chop the chicken, mushroom & onion. Preheat the oven to 350f/ 180c Fan oven.
2. Heat up a large frying pan with some olive oil, make sure it’s very hot. Salt & pepper the chicken, then brown off each side. You will need to fry the chicken in batches. Place the browned chicken into a pan. I use a 7×11″ tray. Stack the chicken on top of each other until they are all browned off.
3. Fry the mushroom & onions (you may need more olive oil on the pan). Place them on top of the chicken.
4. Pour the white wine onto the frying pan. Gently scrape the pan to release all the lovely flavours from frying the chicken, mushroom & onion. The wine will turn a brownish colour.
5. Add the flour & butter to the pan. Combine them together with a whisk to create a thick consistency. Add the milk & continue to whisk until you achieve a smooth, creamy texture. If it’s too thick, add some more milk.
6. Pour the white sauce into the pan with the chicken, mushroom & onions. Grate some cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle with oregano and bake, uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Be sure to scoop some chicken, mushroom, onions, sauce and crispy cheese for each person. Pour some cheese & sauce over the potato, it’s really delicious. It’s really easy to dice up the chicken and mix it with some of the cream sauce, potato & veg for a baby dinner. Enjoy!!