I learn something new for my blog every day! I’m going to share my newest discovery with you – how to customize jetpack related posts.
Jetpack is a WordPress plugin that has lots of functions. One function is to list related posts at the bottom of your post. The idea is the reader might spot something else they’d like to read & stay on your website a little longer. Jetpack comes pre-set to display 3 related posts. I wanted to increase the number to 6. And, I wanted to change the heading “Related” to “You May Also Like.”
On & off for a few months, I’ve been googling “how to increase jetpack related posts to 6.” Unfortunately, there were no easy options. The only instructions I could find have you edit the Jetpack functions.php file. A few months ago, I learned the hard way never to mess with functions files so that wasn’t happening. I decided to email Jetpack customer support & ask them if there was an easier way. I received a detailed reply the same day! With lots of helpful information. I’m quite impressed with their customer service. Here’s what they told me to do…
How to Increase Jetpack Related Posts from 3 to 6:
1. If you are afraid to mess with your functionality.php file like I am, then install a functionality plugin. If you are a newbie, here’s how you do it:
Open the link above or find a plugin that’s compatible with your system & click Download.
Go into your website’s plugins & click Add New.
Click Upload Plugin at the top. Select your downloads folder, locate the functionality zip file & click to upload the plugin to your website.
Finally, click Activate Plugin.
2. Jetpack has a Customize Related Posts article which has a list of codes for customizing their Related Posts function. The first code listed is for changing the number of related posts from 3 to 6. Copy that code.
3. Under plugins, open Edit Functions. This is your new plugin! You simply paste the code here & click Update File at the bottom.
You can change the number 6 to any number you want.
If you are comfortable editing your website’s functions.php code then simply copy & paste the code there.
How to Change the Related Title to Something Else:
1. Go to Jetpack’s Customize Related Posts site (same as above).
2. Scroll down & find the code for changing the Related heading. Jetpack has “Check These Out!” written in its place.
3. Copy the code & paste it in your functions plugin (same as above). If you’d rather say something else, you can delete the “Check These Out” & type whatever you’d like to say! I replaced it with “You May Also Like.”
Follow the same steps to add any code to a plugin’s functions file. I also decided to take away the category listed below the post title. That code is also listed on Jetpack’s post. Follow the same steps above to add that code to your functions plugin.
After making the above changes, I came across a great post about customizing jetpack related posts function by The Lady Errant. Check out her CSS codes & tips for even more customization! You can see my changes in action at the bottom of this post.
I’m so excited about my newest discovery! Do you have any tips to add or questions to ask? Please let me know!