*Sponsored by Opies
Many of us purchase a jar of ginger for a recipe at Christmas, and then it gets left at the back of the cupboard for the rest of the year. This summer, Foodies100 is partnering with Opies, one of the UK’s oldest food companies, to help bring ginger out of the cupboard and show just how versatile it can be. I’m delighted to take part in this #FreeTheGinger campaign with my tasty ginger biscuit recipe.
My kids love ginger biscuits all year round. In the summer it’s nice to put them with fruit and ice cream for a refreshing and summery dessert.
In this recipe, I am featuring Opies Crystallised Stem Ginger which is candied young stem ginger covered in crunchy coarse sugar. It delivers the fiery sensation you expect while being sweet so it is brilliant for baking & is suitable for vegetarians.
Opies Crystallised Stem Ginger adds a delicious dimension to ginger biscuits!
200g butter (soft)
75g Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Baking Soda
50g Opies Crystallised Stem Ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp Ground Ginger (for a more subtle ginger flavour, leave out the ground ginger)
1. Preheat the oven to 180c or 160c fan oven.
2. Place the butter, caster sugar, honey & egg into a mixing bowl and beat until combined.
3. As a busy mom, I like one bowl recipes so at this stage I add the flour, oats, baking soda, ground ginger & chopped Opies Crystallised Stem Ginger directly into the mixture (no second bowl used here). Use a sieve for the flour, soda & ginger. Then stir to combine.
4. Use a tablespoon to scoop the batter onto a well greased baking tray. This recipe makes 21 ginger biscuits if you make them each the size of a tablespoon. Leave space between them because they double in size in the oven.
5. Place your trays into the pre-heated oven and patiently wait 12-14 minutes for them to turn golden brown. The patient bit can be challenging for the kids!
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes on a cooling rack. Then enjoy. You can store them in an airtight container for a few days.
Ginger biscuits with Opies Crystallised Stem Ginger are delicious while playing games and they also make a delicious summery dessert. Simply add some berries, a sprinkling of icing sugar and add a scoop of your favourite ice cream and viola – a fresh and tasty treat is born.
I hope you enjoy my ginger biscuits with Opies Crystallised Stem Ginger, which is available to purchase from Tesco. I’d love to hear what you think of them in the comments! Pin this recipe to use later!!