Tis the season for big dinners with tasty side dishes. No roast dinner is complete without stuffing! This homemade stuffing recipe is totally from scratch. It takes a little longer to make than your box stuffing but it well worth the extra effort as it is really really tasty!
You can make up the stuffing the day ahead or in the morning. Leave it in its pan & bake it when you are ready to serve. If you leave it in the fridge overnight, it will take longer to warm up on the day.
This recipe would make enough stuffing for 4 people. If you are having a gang over I’d recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.
3 cups French or crusty white bread bread crumbs, preferably a day old
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of onions chopped
1/2 cup of mushrooms roughly chopped
1/4 – 1/2+ cup of chicken stock (make enough to have on stand by)
2 cloves of freshly chopped garlic or 1/2 tsp dried garlic
1 tsp freshly chopped sage or dried sage
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
A handful of chopped parsley or coriander
Optional: 1/4 pound of ground pork
1. Break the bread into manageable pieces for a food processor to grind up into bread crumbs.
2. Pan fry the bread crumbs in batches with a little oil until they are lightly browned on all sides & set aside each batch as it finishes.
3. Brown off the mushrooms & onions briefly & add the garlic in at the end for a quick browning & set aside.
4. Brown off the sausage meat if you are using it & add the seasonings to it.
5. Add all of the ingredients together in the pan & add the seasonings if you already haven’t. If your recipe is tripled it won’t all fit in right away, add more bread crumbs after you add some liquid as that reduces the size of the crumbs.
6. Add the stock a little at a time until it’s the right consistency.
7. Taste your stuffing & add more seasoning to your taste. I usually throw in some more sage & pepper.
8. Pour the stuffing into a tin & set aside until you are ready to bake it! You can leave it for the day or make it up a day in advance.
9. When you are ready, bake it at 350 f / 180 c fan oven for 30 – 40 minutes until brown & heated through. If you have the stuffing refrigerated, it will take longer the heat up. Cover it with foil for a half hour then bake it uncovered for another 15 – 30 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this stuffing recipe. Happy holidays!! x