This baked trout recipe is super easy & fast to make. You can put the trout with whatever side dishes you like & you can change the seasoning to suit your tastes. It’s handy because each piece of trout can be seasoned with different herbs & spices. I make a plain version for the kids & add cajun spices or herbs for the grown-ups.
Today, I made the trout with boiled potatoes, peas & salad. The trout only takes 10 minutes to bake so start cooking your side dishes ahead of time.
Trout (one piece per adult & a few kids can share one piece).
Salt, Pepper, Parsley, Cajun Seasoning (or herbs)
1. Place each piece of trout onto its own sheet of aluminium foil. Pull out any bones.
2. Place a slice of butter & two slices of lemon on each piece of trout. Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley & cajun seasoning. For the kids piece I leave off the cajun spices & pepper.
3. Fold the foil up on all sides & pinch it together to create a little pouch. Place the pouches onto a baking tray.
4. Place the tray into the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the trout after 10 minutes. Open one pouch & try to flake the trout with a fork to see if it’s cooked. It should flake easily & should be cooked through. If the trout is still shiny (raw looking) then pop it back in the oven for a couple more minutes.
5. The butter melts & creates a steam which makes the trout moist & succulent. Be careful not to overcook it. Here is the finished product:
6. Serve with side dishes of your choice. We enjoy trout with boiled potato & veg. For little ones, flake some trout & mash it with potato & veg.