Tasty, healthy, whole grains!
My kiddies love brown bread with butter and jam. It’s such a healthy bread when you make it yourself & avoid the additives in packaged breads.
This recipe’s proportions are for a 9×9″ baking tin.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 – 60 Minutes
1 & 3/4 Cups (9oz) Plain Flour
2 heaped teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
2 & 1/2 Cups (1lb & 2oz) Wholemeal Flour
4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3 & 1/2 Cups (750ml) Buttermilk
Optional: handful each of oats, seeds, & walnuts
1. Preheat your oven to 350f or 180c for a fan oven.
2. Sift the plain flour, soda, wholemeal flour, salt and brown sugar into a bowl and stir to blend. If you are adding oats, seeds and/or walnuts, add most of them to the mixture as well. Save some oats and seeds for the top of the bread.
3. Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the buttermilk. Stir the dry ingredients into the buttermilk with a spatula or wooden spoon to form a loose dough.
4. Pour the dough into your 9×9″ baking tin. I line mine with baking paper for easy removal.
5. Cut a cross shape into the dough. If you are adding oats and seeds, sprinkle some on top of the dough & gently push them down in the dough.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 320f or 160c, and bake for another 15-20 minutes. At that time, the bread should be nicely browned.
7. Remove the bread from the oven and flip it over, so the bottom side is facing up. Bake for another 10 minutes. After ten minutes time, a skewer inserted should come out clean, and if you knock on the bread, there should be a hollow sound, which means it’s done!
8. Remove from the oven & turn the bread out of the tin onto a clean cloth. Wrap the cloth around the bread & leave it on a wire rack until cool. Serve it sliced with butter, jam or whatever you like! Enjoy!!