Key Lime Pie is always a dinner party winner! It’s light, fluffy, sweet, sour & a deliciously refreshing way to finish your meal. Living in Ireland, I can’t purchase key limes but regular limes do just fine. I always make the pie the evening before I want it & leave it in the fridge. I add the cream topping right before serving.
Ingredients for the Base:
200g Digestive Biscuits (graham crackers for US readers)
1 tbsp Sugar *
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder *
100g unsalted butter, melted
* add more of each to taste.
Ingredients for the Filling:
3 Large Egg Yolks at Room Temperature – that’s important. Save the whites for an omelet.
1 Can (397g) Sweet Condensed Milk
1 tsp Lime Zest
1/2 cup (120ml) Lime Juice (that’s roughly 5 limes)
Ingredients for the Topping:
200ml Whipping Cream
2 tbsp sugar (optional but I think it’s nicer with the sugar)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees for a fan oven. Spray a 9″ pie pan.
2. Crush the digestive biscuits into a powder. I put them into a ziplock bag & use a rolling pin.
3. Add all of the base ingredients together into a bowl & mix. Pour the mixture into the pie pan & push it up along the sides.
4. Bake the base for 10 minutes & then allow it to cool on a wire rack while you prepare the filling.
5. Zest the limes, then squeeze them. Separate the egg yolks. It’s easiest to have all of the filling ingredients prepared & ready to be added before you start mixing.
6. Whisk the egg yolks for 2 minutes, until fluffy. Then slowly add the condensed milk, while beating. Continue to whisk for an additional 3 – 5 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy & light. Continue to mix while you add the lime zest & juice.
7. Pour the filling into the base.
8. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until it’s fully set & doesn’t jiggle. Place the pie on a wire rack & let it cool completely before covering & refrigerating for a few hours or overnight. I always make the pie the evening before I want it. It lasts perfectly in the fridge. Just be sure to let it completely cool first.
9. When you are ready to serve the pie, whisk the cream & sugar together until it forms stiff peaks. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie. Enjoy!!